By: Frankie Charles
Bathing suit season is here and along with being decidedly pale from a long winter, many YUMs have the additional stress of a few extra pounds left over from pregnancy or eating a few too many cookies. If you’re looking to take the shock out of this year’s suit shopping, incorporate some of these simple tips for exercising and eating lighter.
If you practice the following tips for 30 days, they will become habit and before long, you’ll look and feel better. You can add them into your routine all at once or one at a time. Only you know what’s best for you, but just do something. After all, everybody has to start somewhere! So let’s go!
1. Eat balanced meals of lean proteins and vegetables.
2. Instead of butter or margarine, use non-stick sprays when cooking meat and sauté or grill vegetables in olive oil.
3. Cut out soda. Even diet soda has an unbelievable amount of salt. The best drink is water.
4. Try to eat unprocessed foods. Warning: This is more difficult than it sounds!
5. Exercise early in the day. If you get it done first thing, you won’t have things crop up to keep you from moving.
6. Use a combination of cardio and weight training. Muscle burns more calories than other tissue so the more muscle you have the more calories you burn during your workout.
7. Once a week, walk or ride your bike somewhere you would normally drive.
8. Prepare healthy snacks ahead of time so when you’re really hungry they’re ready.
9. Eat six small meals a day instead of three larger ones.
10. Play outside with your kids. Children burn an amazing number of calories at the playground. So join in. You’ll have so much fun, you won’t even know you’re exercising.